Tuesday 17 January 2012

Silver Linings in the Clouds


January is the most significant time of the year to reflect on the year that was, and to look forward to new ventures in the next 12 months. I have recently been doing a whole lot of thinking, about how I have learnt to see situations as life being the "glass half full" rather than choosing the other view, which is the opposite: to see the glass half empty!

Above, you see the first photo of Prince Charming holding my hand, whilst the epidural was being administered into my spine, at the emergency c.section birth of Cherub #4. As you can see, we all went through our fair share of unexpected dramas. We were not expecting an 11 day stay in the neonatal unit, as Cherub #4 was a very healthy weight at 36 weeks and 6 days! (Our twins, on the other hand, were born at 34 weeks, and that was to be expected - a long one month stay...). Cherub #4 appeared to have a dark shadow on one of his lungs, causing respiratory distress. It turned out to be a "Pneumothorax" which, in layman's terms, means fluid on the lungs, or mild pneumonia. To this day we have no idea why this occurred, yet, as these  photos can testify, our precious wee boy is in fine health today, with a big grin on his face! He even earned the nick-name, "Cheeky Poo!" until we came up with a few more fetching nicknames that won't embarrass him on his 21st birthday celebrations!

I have learnt the art of humouring even the seemingly testing of all situations. Instead of an incubator, I renamed that little glass bubble, a "space station" and I was up at the crack of dawn, reading up on the night nurses medical notes about all our babies who spent time in the neo natal unit. Being one who loves to be informed on every little detail, especially when faced with medical dramas, every stone gets overturned, and by the time friends and family read my email updates hot off the press from neo-nates, they are wondering what I am trying to say with all my new found medical jargon!

So what does this all have to do with "decluttering"? Well, nothing really, but I wanted to give you a glimpse into how delighted I am to have my "Brady Bunch" and that I just try to see the best in everything! It has not been an easy road, with a child who has special needs, so what I glean from my natural gift of "attention to detail" is learning how to keep a good, simple filing system and keeping a notebook and diary at hand. A wall calendar helps to remind me of the dozens of medical appointments I have, not to mention the screeds of babysitters close at hand - even if it takes a lot of scrabbling around to find someone to help with the kids at times!

The first photo of my Prince holding my hand (with crocodile tears rolling down my face - you don't see those!) reminds me of how we entrust those closest to us, to hold our hands in trying times, as we walk together in unison to get to the other side where life seems so much brighter than it was before.

So, dear readers, let us not lose heart, for today we shall light the paths and choose a friend to walk the walk of life with us. Hold hands, lift your head high, and remember that glass is full! Other people who have walked the same journey where you are now treading, are often the best and most trustworthy people.

No comments:

Post a Comment